Thursday, October 3, 2013

Apples and Cars

This past weekend was fantastic. I first have to start out saying how amazing my husband is. I feel so blessed all the time for the amazing man that I was blessed to marry. He just knows me so well, and he does extra little things for me so that I will be so happy. I was planning on going down to my parent's house in Morgan this weekend, and for the first time in months, he was able to come with me. It was so wonderful. We were going to have to leave Friday after his class, so we would get there late Friday night, but he decided that he would skip his Friday class so that we could leave earlier. Then we had the great idea to go down on Thursday night since we didn't have any plans on Friday. We decided that we would go down on Thursday after I was done with work and he was done with his homework and go to my sister Shantel's house. We were not going to arrive there until after 10PM, but then we would be able to spend part of the morning with her and my sweet niece while David was at work. Thursday morning came and I headed into work, I was reminded of someone who could come and take the last couple hours of my shift. I asked Kevin if I could get my shift covered if he would want to leave earlier. He said yes. I was able to get my shift covered and we left around 4.

We had to stop and pick up the semi truck from the repair shop, but after we brought it back to the yard we were on the way to Shantel's house. I am the worst at riding in cars, I always fall asleep, but on this trip I stayed awake the WHOLE way. We got to Shantel's house around 8. We were able to just talk to Shantel and David for several hours that night. It was wonderful.

The next day we woke up and Kevin started his homework. I went down stairs to play with my sweet niece and a couple of her little friends. Lydia (my niece) is so sweet. She gave me part of her pancake for breakfast. After breakfast Kevin and I went to the Salt Lake Temple. Parking is so hard to find around that place. But we were able to go do a session at the temple. It was beautiful. After the session we went to the cafeteria.

After the temple we started car shopping. I hate car shopping. We found a car on KSL and we thought it was going to be perfect for us. We thought we would go look at this car, and buy it. We loved the pictures of this car so much that we already named it. His name was Tony. He was the red version of the car we own right now. The only difference is that Tony has cruise control, is a stick shift, and he is red. We love Ellie so much, and we thought we would love Tony, but he didn't meet our expectations. And the sales man was kinda shady.

After we left his place we drove around to a couple other small places, which were not my favorite places to go. Car shopping is the worst. We gave up and drove to Morgan. When we got to Morgan, Kevin and I made cheesy potato soup for dinner. It was probably the best dinner that I had eaten in a long time.

We talked with my parents for the night then went to bed. The next morning we woke up and hung out with my family for a little while. Then David, Shantel, and Lydia showed up in the afternoon. Shantel, my dad, and I headed to Willard to pick up apples. The plan this weekend was to can apples. I know some people might think that canning apples is weird, but they are so delicious! They make such great apple crisp, and you can make some good apple pie filling with them also. They are good in pancakes and just to snack on. Needless to say my whole family loves them, except David.


We brought the apples home and started canning. Kevin was peeling and coring. (It sounds like the hardest job, but it really is the most fun) I was cutting the apples in half, Melissa was stuffing the jars (which really is the hardest job of it), then David was filling the cans with they syrup and putting the lids on. Shantel was doing all of the jobs on and off. My Dad would then take the bottles out to the camp stove and would boil the bottles. We had a good system working for us.




We ended up bottling 50 bottles of apples. It was so great! Aren't they just so beautiful? I think these apples are gorgeous when they are done!



We celebrated Kevin's birthday that night with German Chocolate cake and new socks! It was so great. Kevin was supposed to go home saturday night so he could teach on Sunday, but again he was so sweet and we talked him into letting us stay one more night and we (meaning he) would have to drive home early the next morning to make it to church.



Overall the weekend was one of the most enjoyable that I have had in a long time. I love spending time with family, especially when Kevin can come along as well.

Here I am at 24 weeks pregnant, I feel like this pictures does not justify how large I actually am.


4 comments:

  1. This is so cute :) I think it is so funny how you said all of us love them except for David and I really don't think you look very big! You are a cute pregnant lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember canning at your house when I was younger. I used to love to get to core and peel the apples. I would eat all the apple skins! Such fun memories! You are also tiny! I swear I was huge at 24 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just so you know for future reference, if you park underneath the conference center in Salt Lake you can get a token at the temple to pay for that parking so it ends up being free and usually pretty readily available. Also, as a side note, I just love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just found that out...after we paid for parking.

    ReplyDelete