Saturday, October 26, 2013

Spontaneous Six- 2nd interview, Birthing Class, Jaelle, Sewing, and Fixing Cars

1. Kevin had his second interview over the phone today (10/24/13) for this job located in Portland. Kevin is so amazing. He said it didn't go as smoothly as he had hoped that it would, mostly because the guy giving the interview didn't seem to interact or care very much about the interview, so it was hard for Kevin to keep a conversation going with him. In the end, they asked if Kevin would be interested in doing a 3rd interview. Of course he said yes (we really are just looking for almost any job). So sometime in the next couple of months they are going to fly Kevin out to Portland for the third interview. I am so proud of Kevin. He is so great, even this company can see it!

2. Yesterday (10/23/13) I convinced Kevin to go to a birthing type class. It is for the next three Wednesdays at the hospital from 7-9:30. I mostly wanted to go to this class for Kevin, because he is not too familiar with the pregnancy and birthing process, but I ended up learning a lot from it too. It was kind of weird because so far we have mostly just watched movies (that are 20 years old) and asked questions, but I am hoping that we will learn some breathing/relaxation techniques as well. She showed us the epidural needle. To be honest it is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Every time I hear someone talking about the epidural needle, they say it is SO huge. Since I have heard that so many times, I had this picture in my head that the needle was 1 foot long and the width of a pea (comparable to a drinking straw). It is not that big for those of you who have not seen them. We also saw a little suction vacuum thing. It was kind of funny. The lady showed us this thing that monitors the baby during labor. This device screws into the top of the baby's head. Like screws under the skin of the baby. I think it is so weird. She said that the doctor that I am seeing uses this on every single pregnancy he delivers. I do not love my doctor. I think we will have moved before I deliver though, so I am thinking he will not be the one delivering my baby. I am excited to go to the rest of the classes, even though they are kind of long.

3. I just got off the phone with one of my best friends, Jaelle. This has just been one of the greatest things this week. Jaelle and I were in the same 1st grade class, our teacher was Ms. Jordan. (she was the best teacher) but from that day forward, we were just automatic best friends. I always wanted to be exactly like Jaelle. She was/is so outgoing and happy and just herself. She makes everyone around her smile and feel comfortable. One time, I think in 5th grade, we had a sleepover because her parents were out of town, and we decided to wear the same outfit to school (I am sure I had that idea because I wanted to be exactly like her). That same sleepover, we thought it would be a good idea to put the spare key to her house under my porcelain doll's dress. I think I found it there several months later when I was cleaning. One time we decided to go into our back yard (which was a field) and make a fort that was underground. We had such great plans. We were going to take some extra wood from my dad, and put it over this hole and cover it up so that no one would be able to find it. We only dug for one day, but we made a pretty big hole (considering we were probably only in 5th or 6th grade). When I showed my dad he was so impressed, but after we never finished our project, he couldn't find the dirt because we had spread it everywhere and didn't make one big pile. The hole stayed in the field until we moved...I am sure it is still in the field. I have so many fond memories of Jaelle. I am so grateful for our friendship, and even though we don't talk very often, it is nice to know that she is still out there making someone happy and being herself.

Don't mind the puffy eyes, I think this was my last game before I moved and I had been crying

4. I have been so blessed in my life. Before I was married (and even still) my dad always check the oil in my car, fixed everything that went wrong. There were multiple times that I would call my dad and tell him that the car was making a funny noise. He would have me describe it. After I tried to make a noise and just sounding silly, my dad would have a good idea of what was going on with my car. He is amazing!

Now that I am married, I am not home as often, but I have been so blessed because Kevin is such a handyman. This morning (10/26/13) Kevin woke up and headed out to fix my car. My front light has been out and Kevin thought that the brake needed changed. He tore everything apart and found out that my brake is fine, but he fixed the light. It is so nice to be taken care of.

If it were not for these two men in my life, I am sure my car would be ruined. I would have my engine seizing from not changing the oil or something. I am so grateful that my dad and Kevin have been able to fix my car and take care of me. I am so grateful for them.

5.This morning (10/26/13) Kevin asked me to fix a couple of his clothes. He has this super ugly, ratty, shirt that has huge holes in the elbows. He only wears it when he goes snowmobiling. So this morning I cut the sleeves up to the elbows and hemmed them up. The shirt now looks pretty good. Kevin is going to be so excited when he sees it.

This is a before and after in the same picture. See how big that hole is? The other side is exactly the same! 

For Christmas last year, I got some clips for Kevin's shirt stays. If you don't know what shirt stays are, they are these elastic type things that you hook one part to the bottom of your dress shirt, and the other part to the top of your socks. They make it so that when you raise your hands, your shirt stays tucked in. Hence the name shirt stays. Kevin loves them. The part that hooks onto your socks and been starting to slip so I got some new clips and sewed them onto the elastic so that they will stay better. I only had gray thread instead of the black that matched the elastic, so they kind of look poorly done, but no one will see them. It is nice that I finally finished Kevin's Christmas present from last year!

6. Last night (10/25/13) we went out to dinner with Kevin's cousins. We went to chuck a rama. I have so many memories there from when my Grandma and Grandpa Walker would take us out to dinner. I think growing up, every time we ate there, my brother Matthew would throw up because he would eat too much. That is the curse of buffets. Don't worry, now he is older he can portion control a little better.

Long story short, it was really nice to see his cousins Aimee, Andy, their son Logan, and Aimee's brother Jordon. I love when we get to spend time with family, and it is always an added bonus when we get to eat good food.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on Kevin's shirt. I'm impressed.

    I hope that he does well for his third interview. I'm sure that he will.

    I'm glad that you got to talk to Jaelle. That is so nice. All of the qualities that you used to describe her? That is how I would describe you. I think that you are very much alike.

    Good luck with your birthing class! I hope that you learn everything that you want to learn. Also - I've heard that Hypnobabies (https://www.hypnobabies.com/) is really good as far as breathing exercises and stuff like that. My birthing class didn't really cover that. I wish that I had learned more of the breathing because I had a hard time with that especially in the beginning. Next time around I'll probably find a CD or video or something to do at home. Or a class. I'm glad that Kevin is going with you. It really helped David feel more confident at the hospital. (Oh, and the epidural needle? So not a big deal. It's not huge and it doesn't even hurt at that point in labor. I don't know why people talk so badly about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the epidural was nothing. Are you going to get one or go natural?

    ReplyDelete