Monday, September 3, 2018

Canning 2018

I really enjoy canning, especially when I get to go be with my dad and do canning with him. This year our friends the Swains were able to get a ton of free apples. They gave me a huge box of free apples and so I went up to Morgan and made applesauce.

I ended up getting 12 quarts of applesauce and I think it is delicious. I would have gotten more though. Ugh, it makes me sad to even write this, but on the second batch of applesauce I was moving a huge green bowl of applesauce and as I was moving it I dropped it. I was so sad. Tears were shed. I wasn't actually so sad about dropping the applesauce as I was in shock I think. The applesauce was still really really hot and it burnt me a little bit and just dropping it made me go in a little shock. I just kept thinking how at least the apples were free and I didn't lose any money, just time and work..and added more work to the clean up process.


Even with the dropping of the applesauce it still was so fun. Kevin came up that afternoon and went shooting with my dad for a little bit. It was fun to see him and have him do something fun for himself too. That day he spent fixing his truck. He thought the fuel pump went out, but actually he just let his truck run out of gas. The gas gauge is off. Ha ha, it made me laugh. What a day we both had. Hopefully in many years this memory will just make us laugh instead of the little pain I feel when writing it.


A couple weeks later I came up to my parents house and canned peaches. My Aunt Cindy was in town, and she and my mom went out to lunch at Taggarts so I was left to do everything by myself. I could have come up the next day, but the peaches were ready. So we came up and I got started, I blanched and peeled all the peaches and then I was just going to process them in two water canners. I felt so good about myself because I was able to do all the washing, blanching, and peeling by myself. My dad stopped through on his way home and helped me process them, but since Sadie slept so good I got all the hard part done by myself. Everything went really well for me, and only two peach bottles broke. It was sad to lose those peaches, but sometimes things like that just happen.


A few weeks later I was able to come up and do some grape juice. Our friends who we got the apples from also had some grapes no one was using so we made some grape juice. It is so easy. If I had my own grape vines I would make so much grape juice. All I had to do was put the grapes in the steamer, wash the bottles, then put the juice in the bottles, and the lids sealed themselves. It was easy peasy and went great.

I really enjoy canning, I don't know if it is just because I get to do it with my dad, or if I like knowing exactly what I am eating, or if I am just a homemaker at heart, but it brings me joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment