Monday, January 21, 2019

Corn up Jason's Nose

Well, it finally happened. We were inducted into the club of parents who have had a child put something up their nose.

Lets set the scene: Jason, Camille and I are nicely eating dinner. Kevin is not quite home from work yet. We are almost finished so I am bringing my dishes to the sink. I look back at Jason and he say, "There is corn in my nose." He is trying to pick it out. Cue Kevin coming in the door from work. I tell Jason to stop picking his nose and I look up his nose and sure enough there is corn up there.

Kevin and I ended up trying everything we could think of to get the corn out. We tried tweezers, a bulb syringe full of water to flush it out, we tried blowing air to push it out, we tried everything we could think of.

We ended up calling our pediatrician, and they said they could get him in at 8:15. That is so late for our family, but we said OK since we had no other option. Since we had a couple hours before we had to go to the doctor, we kept trying some different options. Kevin thought maybe we could vacuum it out of his nose. He had recently been to the ENT for his nose surgery and they vacuumed out the blood clots and such from his nose and he thought maybe we could do the same thing. So he took the vacuum hose, and with duct tape attached a gas can spout, and to that attached a rubber hose, and to that a straw. We had the set up, and we pinned Jason down and tried to suck it out of there and it just didn't work.

Kevin ended up taking him to the doctors office and when they finally got back, Kevin said the doctor looked up his nose and said, "I see the corn, lay him down on the bed and I will go get my tool." So Kevin laid Jason on the bed, and then the doctor came back with his tool, looked up Jason's nose again and said, "I can't see the corn anymore. If I can't see the corn I can't pull it out." So Kevin suggested that maybe if the fill a bulb syringe with water and shoot it up the nostril with the nose that maybe it would push it down his nose into his throat. So they tried that, and then looked up Jason's nose again and still couldn't see the corn. So they came home. Kevin told me this story, and then I looked up Jason's nose and guess what I saw....I will give you one guess. Yes, it was the kernel of corn. It was so funny, but there was nothing we could do about it now, so we put Jason to bed and Kevin said he would take him to the ENT in the morning.

That night Kevin tossed and turned trying to figure out a way to get the corn out of Jason's nose. In the morning he went to Maverick to get some coffee sipping straws, along with a couple of delicious hot chocolates for us. He had devised a plan using bobby pins and a coffee straw. He used two of my bobby pins, and flattened them out with one little curve at the end. When they were in the straw, they would be closed together. Then when you pushed them out of the straw, they would open up until it was around an object, then when you pulled them back in they would close around the object and pull it down. Surprisingly it actually worked pretty well, except it wasn't going to be strong enough to get the corn down Jason's nose, so we didn't even try to get it.

Kevin came home early from work and took Jason to the ENT. The ENT grabbed it out within 5 minutes and we haven't had an incident yet.

This whole experience was frustrating, and also hilarious. We hope that none of our other children put things up their nose. I am almost positive that we traumatized Jason adequately that he will never sitck another thing (besides his finger) up his nose.

We love you Jason! Thanks for keeping us on our toes and giving us great stories to tell! You are a wonderful little boy! Just don't put any more corn in your nose!


No comments:

Post a Comment