Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Haderlie Campout 2018

I wrote a long paragraph about the Haderlie camp out, and then asked Kevin to write a little bit about the camp out this year (see below) and his paragraph was so much better than mine. I am sorry that I am the one writing this and not Kevin. He is much better at words and writing than I am. But you have me, so I guess you will just have to read my not so great writing. Here goes nothing....


Every year the Haderlies get together and do a camp out. There are 100+ people that come and it is always such a wonderful time. Every year Kevin and I have showed up around 4-ish instead of at 12 when you first can arrive. We always get the worst tent spot because we get there late. This year we decided we were going to get there right after noon, and we did! We got to pick a spot in the shade that was even kind of flat. It was so nice. Only two other people were there, and so we set up camp then went into Logan and got some Aggie Ice Cream. We got there and could hardly believe the line coming out of the building. We dragged all three kids up, and waiting in line for probably an hour, but we got our ice cream and enjoyed ourselves. By the time we got back to camp, a lot of people had set up their tents.



Camille and Jason had so much fun playing in the dirt and with cousins. I can hardly believe how dirty they were. But kids and dirt go together so well. Sadie slept better than Jason did. This is the second time we have taken her camping, and both times she has slept better than Jason. We are hoping to get Jason sleeping better on our next camping trip.  We had a couple of fun days filled with good food and good fun.

This is Kevin.  The camp out was a lot of fun this year.  One of my favorite parts that happens each year is the Saturday morning event where we tell stories about Grandma Elmina and Grandpa Conn.  The stories almost always revolve around food, hard work, service to others, etc.  As always, my dad tried to be the jokester when he speaks.  He is pretty funny I guess.  I really love the camp outs.  I feel like I hardly know half of my cousins.  I have been making it a point each year for the last couple of years to try to get to know my cousins better.  For instance, this year I spent nearly all of Friday night learning the names of cousins of mine.  It was a success.  I learned at least one person's name which is more than has happened at many other reunions.  Overall, I love my immediate and extended family and feel so privileged to be part of it.

Jenna again. See, I told you his writing is better than mine. I was back and forth taking care of kids during the time where everyone was telling stories, but what I heard made me wish I had known Grandpa Conn and Grandma Elmina. They sounded like wonderful people, and even though I have never met them, they seemed to come alive a little more to me during that time.

We had so much help with Sadie. Her cousins Hailey Culumber and Emmaline Haderlie were always so kind to hold her while I was eating. Kevin said that he would see Sadie with some random person, and think "well, she is probably okay if she is with family." but there were so many people who wanted to hold her, and I was so grateful for all of them.

Overall the camp out was a success. We love being with family and spending time unplugged from our phones and just being outside. The kids loved exploring and playing with so many cousins. We are already looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment