Saturday, August 18, 2018

Davis County Fair

This weekend we went to the Davis County Fair. For the last couple of years we have told ourselves that we would go to the fair, and the fair has come and gone and we hadn't gone. But this year we got a flyer for the fair and they were going to have a BMX show, and that motivated Kevin to want to go to the fair. It turned out to be so fun! Entrance to the fair was free and so were many of the attractions, so that made me want to go even more.

We got to the fair around 12:30 and a sea lion show was just about to start. We hadn't had lunch yet, but we wanted to see the sea lions so we stuck around for a little. We got to see a sea lion balance a ball on it's nose and we saw one recycle a plastic bottle. We had skipped Jason's nap and the kids were both getting a little hangry since they hadn't had lunch yet, so we didn't stay for the whole show.

We ended up getting some lunch at this Hawaiian place. It had the most delicious pork. Yum! Kevin ended up going back and getting more pork because it was that delicious. One of my favorite things about the fair is fair food. I don't love the prices, but having so many different fun options makes me kind of giddy. I think I need to go to a food truck rally, I think it would be the same, but without the inflated prices. ($5 for a hot dog!! I can hardly believe it!)

We ate by the BMX half pipe trick area so that we would have good seat for the show. I am not actually sure what to call it, but that is where the trick show was. We enjoyed our lunch and then watched the show. It was SO cool! These guys just travel doing these kinds of shows. There was one guy who was 48 years old doing the hardest tricks called land tricks. He didn't use the pipe and jump area, he was just on the ground but could ride his bike upside down and all sorts of things. It really was amazing. And then there were a couple other guys who were doing all sorts of jumps and such. It really was such a cool show to watch.

After the BMX show, the kids wanted to ride some of the fair rides. We got some tickets and rode the strawberry go round, and the kids rode a little boat ride and elephant ride the flies up and down. They just loved it. They really loved the boat one. I think they thought that they were actually driving the boat. It was so fun to see their smiling faces.


After the rides we went and saw real elephants. You could buy a ride on an elephant at the fair. It was so cool. Kevin said, "Look, we don't have to go to the Philippians to ride and elephant!" But I didn't ask to ride one, because someday I am really hoping to ride an elephant in the Philippians.
They had a free area to pet animals, we headed that way, but I was starting to get worried about Sadie. She had been so quiet and was perfect through everything, but I was worried she was getting too hot in her car seat in the stroller. So we walked through the bunny and chicken cages then headed home. I hope that we are here next year and they have this fair again. In the petting area they had camels and zebras and pigs and all sorts of animals. Next year when Sadie is 1 we will go and I will not be as worried.

We started walking home and there was a little band playing as we were walking. Most of the lyrics of the song had to do with a dead skunk in the middle of the road. It just made me chuckle. I love the fair, and spending time with my family. I feel grateful that we were able to go and do some fun things this weekend as a family.

We got home and Kevin wanted to make homemade root beer and ice cream. He went to the store to get everything which ended up taking a long time, but he got it and we made some. The kids thought it was so fun to see the dry ice bubble. Seeing our kids smile is one of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment