Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Camille Grace Haderlie

So from the last post you know that we went into the hospital at 10:30 PM on Wednesday (1/15/14). We went to the front doors, because they said that the front doors close at 11, but when we got there, the doors were locked. So we walked from our car, to the front doors, then around the building to the ER entrance, all while having pretty painful contractions. We finally got to labor and delivery, and since I was scheduled for an induction the next morning, they just admitted me without checking if it was real labor or not. I was so thankful for scheduling that induction. I got right in a bed and the nurse hooked me up to an IV then gave me a shot of something wonderful. It dulled the pain and it made me fall right asleep. Apparently the nurse was asking me a million questions that I was answering, and then I fell asleep right in the middle of a question, and Kevin ended up having to answer the rest of the questions.
Eating Raspberry Ice Chips
I was in and out, but shortly after the shot and everything, the anesthesiologist was in my room having me sign papers about the epidural. Finally we got ready for the epidural. It didn’t even hurt too bad when the needle went in, I think it was more shock than anything. It was so weird because when he put the trial dose of medicine in, it made my left leg tingle, but they just had me lay on my right side for a while and the medicine started numbing both of my legs.

I know there are so many people out there who want to always have their children natural, but after Camille I am a firm believer in epidurals. I went from having pretty bad pain, to having none at all. It was wonderful. It was even better that we went in at night. I hope all my labors start in the middle of the night. We went in, got the epidural, and I got to sleep for the rest of the night without feeling anything. We could watch the monitor in the room that showed when I was having a contraction, and it would look painful, but I couldn't feel anything. Labor was nothing that Kevin and I expected it to be.

When we first were admitted into the hospital I had dilated from a 3 that morning at my appointment to a 5. At 3 in the morning, the nurse came in and checked me again. I had gone from a 5 to a 7.  Then they checked me again at 6 in the morning and I had gone from a 7 to a 9. This baby was pretty much ready to come.  Dr. Oldroyd came in around 7 to check me, and I was still at a 9. At this point my water still had not broken. He ended up breaking it before he left (again, felt hardly nothing thankfully) and waited for me to continue to dilate.

Around 9:30 we were about ready to go. Camille had a bowel movement inside, and it turns out the the cord was wrapped twice around her neck, so the NICU had to be there, and so were Respiratory Therapy people, along with the regular nurses. Around 10 the Doctor came in, along with everyone else, and we really started pushing. I only pushed for 20 or 30 minutes before Camille was born into this world. Again, I was so grateful for the epidural because I only felt pressure, no real pain with anything. I did end up getting an episiotomy though.  At 10:37 AM Camille Grace Haderlie was born into this world. She weighed 7 pounds and 11 ounces. She was 21 inches long. She was perfect. We had no issues with her breathing in or with the cord, so we were able to hold her soon after she was born.



She was so perfect, I couldn’t help but cry. My little baby girl was here and she was safe and healthy. All was right in the world. They ended up taking Camille to get all the tests done that she needed. While Camille was away, I was still in the bed. My epidural was out and I could start to move and feel my legs again. It was lunch time, and I was about to be moved to the other side of the hospital. The nurse had me go the bathroom before I left for my new room. When I stood up and walked to the bathroom, I got very dizzy and nauseous. I ended up coming back to the bed, and that is when the nurse decided that I was probably losing more blood than what was regular. She called Dr. Oldroyd, and he came right over. He found out that I had a blood clot in my uterus, and it was making me bleed more and was not good. He ended up having to dig it out with his finger, and that was the most painful part of the whole labor and delivery that I felt. With not epidural and having pushed a baby out and getting stitches, everything was hurting down there. With him trying to get the blood clot out it hurt so so bad. I was just crying and cringing. He ended up getting it out, and it weighed over 1 pound. It was a really big blood clot.

Instead of going over to the other wing of the hospital, I stayed here until they were sure the blood clot wouldn’t cause any more problems. Camille was such a trooper. From after her first feeding right after she was born, she didn’t eat anything until 6. The nurse let me sleep from 4-6 after getting the clot out (I could have slept for much much longer). At 6 Camille came in for her next feeding. (I think that this was her second feeding, but to be honest, most of those hours were a big blur to me). At around 8, I was able to go over to the recovery wing of the hospital and got to spend a little more time with Camille.


I ended up sending her to the nursery more than I would have wanted, but with all the blood that I lost, I didn’t have the energy that I needed, and I needed to rest a lot. All of the workers at the hospital were so wonderful. I could rave on and on about my experience there. I was just so grateful for all of the people who worked there. They were so supportive and kind and willing to help in any way that they could. They took such great care of us.

The next couple of days were spent in the hospital. My parents and brothers came up for a quick visit Friday afternoon, and my Mom stayed up and helped us out until Monday afternoon. I don’t know what I would have done without Kevin and my Mom. They were such big supports. Kevin was so supportive during the whole labor and delivery. I have never been so grateful for him. And it was such a blessing having my mom there helping with meals and being so willing to hold and rock Camille during the late hours of the night. I am so blessed by those who love and support me. I have so many people who have helped this past week with meals and cleaning and shopping and anything else that I might need. I am so grateful for them all. But most of all I am grateful for my sweet little Camille. She is so perfect and we are so grateful that we were able to start a family, and that she came to us. Her spirit is so sweet and has forever changed Kevin and my lives and hearts. She has already brought so much love into our lives. We love you Camille and cannot wait to see what life has in store for you! 


2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! I'm so glad that she is here and that you had such a successful (if not short and pain free) delivery. I love you and I can't wait to hold that sweet baby soon.

    ReplyDelete