Sunday, December 28, 2014

A mouse in the house

I can't believe I am writing this post. I am so sad that I am.Today I heard a weird noise. Camille was taking a nap, so I walked over by our stairs and there was a lunch box. I wasn't sure how it was making the noise, but I figured the zipper must be rubbing on something weird. So I moved the lunch box. Another minute went by, and I heard the sound again. I walked over to the stairs and heard a little squeak. I concluded there was a mouse in the house. I don't know how it got in, or how it got into the basement, but I am really sad that it did.

Kevin is gone for the weekend, but I decided that we would probably be fine until tomorrow as long as the mouse stays in the basement. A few minutes later I see a mouse run across the floor and then sneak under the door into the coat closet. I hurry and called Kevin to see if I should try to trap it in there or what I should do. He didn't answer, and by that time the mouse had ran into the bathroom.

I called Kevin back and he answered. I told Kevin what I was going to do. I don't know why I felt like I needed to call him. Maybe because he always protects me, so my first instinct was to call, but I had my plan figured out. I closed the bathroom door and grabbed a towel to stuff under the door. I know that mice can fit through the tiniest of holes, but I figured it would keep the mouse in the bathroom better than just having it open. I ran upstairs, got Camille up from her nap, and we went and bought some mouse traps.

We got home and I put some mouse traps around. Some in the bathroom and some outside the bathroom. Since there were some traps where Camille would have been able to reach them, we headed to Walmart to pick up some pictures we ordered, then we decided to go out to dinner. Not that anyone cares, but we went to Cafe Sabor and it was just alright. Nothing to rave about. I felt really out of place eating there by myself, but that is another story.

We came back home and I went and put Camille down for bed. I came downstairs and checked my traps. Nothing had happened. The traps I bought said you didn't have to put bait on them, so I didn't put any bait down, and since nothing happened I went and got some cheese and added it to the traps. I just hung out for a little while on the couch. I was waiting for my Uncle and cousin to come to my house. They were picking up my other cousin from Rexburg and so they were going to spend the night at my house. It really was the worst day for this mouse to appear.

All of a sudden in the corner of my eye I see a little movement. The mouse had come out of the bathroom. He was just poking his nose around. He missed all the traps. I was so sad. I tried to sneak into the kitchen to get a tupperware so that I could catch the mouse. Unfortunately the mouse saw me and ran back into the bathroom. I sat back down on my couch with the tupperware in case he came back out.

He didn't come back out and my relatives were almost here, so since I knew he was in the bathroom I put the traps in the bathroom and the laundry room and I put towels under each door.

Fast forward to the next morning. My relatives left fairly early, so after they left I checked my traps. Bathroom traps were empty, so I opened the laundry room door and found a murder scene minus weapon and body. It was really disgusting. I was going to take a picture, but before I could, Kevin cleaned it up (thank you Kevin!). You probably didn't want to see it anyway. But let me just tell you, it was enough blood splattered on the wall that I was surprised there was no body. I couldn't see the trap anywhere. So the logical thing to do was to close the door, stick the towel back down in case it was still alive, and wait until Kevin gets home.

Kevin got home and he went and checked in the laundry room. He found the mouse trap under the washer, but still no mouse. I wasn't sure if the mouse had bled to death or was still alive, so I stuck some cheese just on the ground and not in a trap and then we went to church. The cheese was still there when we got home from church so I was hoping that the mouse was dead, but I wasn't sure, so I just kept it on the ground. The next day the cheese was gone. I was so sad. So Kevin set the traps again and we were on a hunt for the mouse.

We set the traps and I was hoping that we would catch the mouse before we left for Christmas, but we didn't. The traps we set and we headed to Kevin's family for Christmas.

We got home from our Christmas vacation, and we checked the laundry room and guess what? We caught the mouse!!!! I am so happy! We have the traps still set around the house in case there are more mice, but at least the one that I saw was caught. We really love our house, and we hope that we never see another mouse ever again.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! Jenna this is so... scary/yucky/heebie-jeebie-ie. I'm proud of you and glad you survived!

    ReplyDelete