Monday, September 16, 2013

Monday Five- Megan and Damon, Starting School, Age of Empires, Motor Biking, and Fixing BMX Bike

This past Friday, I forgot to write my Friday Five. I guess I should get a planner and remind myself to write these blog posts. I really do want to be writing these so that I can remember what is happening in our life, but for some reason I just space doing it. So today, it will be a Monday Five.

1.Last Saturday (not two days ago, but the one before) we were able to have lunch with some of our good friends. When they lived in Rexburg we would have dinners and watch the presidential debates with them, but then they moved away. They still rent a trailer home in Rexburg, so it brings them to this area every once in a while. Megan is so awesome and always texts me and we try to get together when they come down. We decided to go out to lunch before they had to head back to Paul, Idaho. We went to Red Robin. Kevin and I had never been to Red Robin before. Once we walked into the restaurant, thought it looked weird, walked back out and went to dinner somewhere else. This time we stayed and ate there. It was pretty delicious. Kevin loved his Burnin' Love Burger. It smelled so spicy. It came with a roasted Jalapeno pepper on top of the Hamburger. I don't love super spicy things, and recently I have been enjoying more bland things because the normal flavor of things has been so strong recently, but he loves spicy and he loved his meal.

It was really fun to see them and their little girl Sandy. This was the first time I had met her. It just made me really excited to see our little girl. I feel so blessed that we have a couple good friends that we can do some things with even though we aren't living in the same town.

2. This morning Kevin starts his last semester of his Bachelor's Degree. We are both so excited! A plus that comes with Kevin starting this semester of school is that he is going to be home practically every single night. This does not happen very often. But with how his schedule worked out, he will just wake up in the morning and do a short run to Utah, and be back before his afternoon classes. It will be so nice because in past semesters, Kevin would leave after his classes, and he would get home until 2-3 in the morning. This will be such a better schedule for both of us. It is going to be weird having almost a normal routine, but I am excited to see him more often.

P.S. As I am writing this, Kevin is shaving off his beard (no beards on BYU-I campus) and he left his mustache, which is allowed on campus. Mustaches were not meant for most people, and as I am finding out, Kevin is included in that bunch of people. I might just have to post a picture of it when I have a little time.

3. This is going to be really nerdy, but this last weekend Kevin's cousin Jordon came over to play Age of Empires with Kevin. I didn't just want to sit by myself and do nothing while they were playing this game together, so I decided to play with them. They were such good sports to let me play with them. For those of you who don't know, Age of Empires is a game of strategy where you build armies and try to destroy the other armies. It is like a pumped up game of Risk. We were all on the same team, then we had some computer players that we were going up against. Kevin and Jordan helped build walls around me so the computers wouldn't kill me and gave me food and wood and other supplies multiple times so that I could continue to build. It was safe to say I was not very good at it. I do have a confession to make though. I feel so nerdy, but I really enjoyed playing! It was surprisingly fun. I love making the little farms and growing food and mining gold and watching my resources grow. I enjoyed it so much that I invited Jordon to come over the next day to play another game with us. The second time I played I did so much better. I still did not make any walls, but by the end of the game I had the largest army out of EVERYONE that was playing. It is probably because I did not attack anyone so none of them died, but I still had the best stats for that area. So there is my confession, I like Age of Empires. I am now officially a nerdy nerd.

4. I love when Kevin can do something just for himself. He is so selfless. He works all the time, and when he isn't working he is serving in the church or doing something that probably wouldn't be first on his list with me. But this last Wednesday Kevin was able to go motor biking down in Malad, Idaho.His brother was going down to ride motor bikes in Malad, and Kevin wasn't going to be able to go because he was going to be at work, but there was a big confusion at his work and he ended up having Wednesday off. Kevin really should be writing this part of the post because he is the one that went, but he said it was so fun. They rode for about 4 hours, and it was nice because the weather was kinda rainy and cloudy so it wasn't even too terribly hot. It is always fun to see Kevin do the things he loves to do.

5. Kevin should also be writing this little snippet, but I guess I will just write the part that I know so that we can remember. Kevin loves to do BMX bike riding. Growing up he would ride his bike for hours on end and would build jumps and he even competed in races and did really well in them. One story that I love to hear his mom tell me is about Kevin riding his bike over jumps. This story also makes me feel a little grateful that we are having a girl first. The story goes something like this, One day Kevin and his friends were outside playing. His mom was inside making dinner or something like that. Kevin and his friends had decided to build a jump and ride their bikes over it. They didn't want to just stop there though. They decided it would be so much cooler if below the jump they built a fire so they would be riding their bikes over this fire. So they built a fire. Then they thought it would be so much cooler if as they ride over this jump, that when the rider gets to the peak of the jump they would throw gasoline on the fire so that it would get bigger as they are jumping it. They did this for a little bit. When his mom came out and checked on them and found out what they were doing, she put a stop to it immediately. But this little story just goes to show how much Kevin likes bikes and jumps.

So a couple weeks ago he decided he wanted to fix up his old BMX bike. He had bought it years and years ago. It had gone through several families and was really beat up. Rusted over and the wheel had rotted out, but he still wanted to fix it up. He pulled the bike all apart, got the frame and handle bars painted. Bought some new rims and stickers. (the stickers are really important. It is a Redline bike, which aparantly is a fancy kind of BMX bike, so he wanted people to know it was a Redline.) He just it all put together this last weekend.  It looks so cool, and the stickers actually made it look even cooler. You can't even tell it is the same bike. Hopefully Kevin will start doing a little racing again.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully Kevin won't do any races that involve fire under the jumps! I loved reading your blog and about how much you liked playing Age of Empires. Now I'll just get you started watching Star Trek and you will be a *real* nerdy nerd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna we grew up playing Age of Empires! Did you ever play with us? I don't even think that is to nerdy and Matt and Jacob would be so proud that you enjoy that game :)

    ReplyDelete