Friday, September 6, 2013

Idaho State Fair

I love spending time with my sweet husband. Last weekend we were able to go to the state fair. We have both been wanting to go for the last several years, but we have never been able to make it. I thought the same thing would happen this year, but we both had the same day off and we decided to go. We got to the fair around 6. Neither of us knew where the fair was in Blackfoot, but luckily, as we were driving on the interstate we could see the fair rides from the road.

When we first walked in there were tons of people walking all over the place, and the smell of delicious food was in the air. That is mostly why I wanted to go, for the food, specifically funnel cakes. We decided to look at all of the food options and booths and rides before we actually ate dinner. This fair was the largest one I had ever been to. We walked around all of the food booths, then we started looking at all of the things that are for sale. Kevin gravitated towards all of the tractors, snowmobiles, and trailers. I was excited to look at the rides and the extravagant cakes that people submitted to the fair.

We walked around and looked at all the rides. It was like a mini Lagoon there. Honestly, I think even if Kevin and I were willing to spend money on rides (and if I wasn't pregnant) I still don't think that we would have gone on any of them. They are moved around in boxes and set up at random places. Some of them looked pretty sketchy.


We passed a mechanical bull at one booth. There was this really little girl,, probably only two years old, where her dad was holding her on the bull with her little hand in the air. It reminded me of something that my dad would have done. It made me smile.

While we were walking around we stumbled upon one of the free shows they had at the fair. It was called something like Ax women. They all were ladies who competed with axes. Some of them have even been to the wood chopping Olympics! Kevin and I couldn't keep from laughing. it was pretty cool, and these girls were pretty ripped, but it was such a weird hobby that someone would get involved with. They said that most of the joined the wood chopping club when they were in college. They did do some log rolling, like the kind in water. Now, we probably would have paid to try log rolling. It looked fun.



After we had looked at all the booths and all of the funny people, we finally got dinner. At this fair they serve MASSIVE turkey legs. Like the kind they eat in mid-evil times. It looked too funny not to get one.


Now, one thing you have to know about me is that I am terrible at making good decisions when it comes to food. Whenever we get food anywhere, Kevin's dinner is always looking way better than mine. So even though the turkey leg looked awesome, it was way too much meat. We both wish we would have got a hamburger and fries instead, but it was still a great experience.


After the Turkey leg, we got a funnel cake. I have been so excited for the funnel cake. I haven't had one in years, and I was so excited. It was delicious. It was a lot of sugar, but it was still fantastic.

We finished eating and started our walk back to our car. We had to park several blocks away near a restaurant called Rupes. Kevin lived in Blackfoot for a little while before his mission and he said this is the cool hang out place for high school aged people. Since we were so disappointed in our turkey leg, we decided to get some french fries. It was cool because it is one of those places that you can order your food from your car and they take it out to you. Pretty much like sonic, but cooler because it is not a big chain restaurant. We got our fries and our quart sized drink, and we were so sad. The fries were not salty enough and they came with fry sauce not ketchup. I know everyone loves fry sauce, but I don't. I always prefer ketchup. And we were expecting the quart sized drink to be huge, even though both of us know how many cups are in a quart. Enough complaining, the moral of this story is that I stink at making food decisions.


The whole night was so wonderful. We were able to spend time walking around and being with each other. We love when we get to do things like this together. I am so grateful for my sweet husband who loves me even when I make bad food decisions.


P.S. Look how awesome my husband is. He is so good at motor sports!


2 comments:

  1. You cut your hair! I love love love it!!! Why didn't you tell me when we were talking today? The fair looks so fun. I make bad food decisions too. Mostly, when I'm buying a meal somewhere I try to get something that I don't/can't make at home to make it worth my money. But the. I always wish I just got a simple chicken sandwich or whatever.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are good at making food choices! There is no way I could pass up a midevil looking turkey leg! So wild! Also I think I would be to afraid to try the log rolling thing! Looks dangerous! :)

    ReplyDelete